Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

In recent years, there has been a resurgence of interest in World War II stories. I believe this is, in part because “The Greatest Generation” are slowly passing away. Many of these people are taking their stories with them. Some stories from the late 1930’s, and throughout the war, have been written as fictional accounts, and make for riveting novels and movies. I grew up reading books like “The Diary of Anne Frank”, and cried my way through them, feeling such a sense of sacrifice and heroism. I don’t believe any movie has brought more tears to me than “Saving Private Ryan”. I had nightmares for weeks, and felt changed by the bravery shown by these soldiers. Even my favorite children’s book, “The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe” takes place during World War II, since the children were taken out of the dangers of bombing London and out into the country. I believe the Narnia trip was a safe, fantastical journey of the imagination, during a brutal and unforgiving period in history.

And yet, there have been stories written about the lighter side during World War II. During war, more than during peace, people need to be able to laugh and find humor. In doing so, people rediscover their humanity and their courage. I just finished reading “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. In this sometimes touching, and often hilarious, series of fictional letters between an English journalist, looking for her next story, and a group of Guernsey islanders, we learn the story of the occupied English island during the war. I was shocked to learn that part of England was invaded by Germany, and held by the Germans for five years. It is a chapter completely left out of any American history book I ever read.

While this novel should be deeply depressing, it is extraordinarily uplifting. The authors have created, through the writing of letters and exchanging of information, fully dimensional characters whom I wish I could meet. The fact is, the world of Guernsey Island in the 1940’s seems so real to me, thanks to this novel, I do feel as if I’ve traveled there, met the people, had a cup of tea and discussed literary works with them. I loved hearing about the half-Jewish butler impersonating his English Lord, and in doing so, not only saved his own life but a very fine wine collection. The brilliant islanders had a quick ‘ancestor’ portrait painted of this disguised “realm of the peer“, and the Germans treated him with great respect as they confiscated the “Lord’s” manor house. Because the characters spontaneously form a “Literary Society” in order to be able to meet with one another, under the noses of their German occupying forces, the quick thinking islanders buy out all the remaining books from the local bookshop to read. Little did they know that these would be the only sources of information they’d receive for the full duration of the war.

Each one of the characters shows humor, humility and love of literature. As a bookworm myself, I could easily have joined in their discussions, but would have had to dig deep to discover their bravery. These islanders, many of whom knew very little of one another before, pulled together, and created a deeper sense of community than they’d had before the invasion. I have often heard that “war makes for strange bedfellows”, and these people were no different. The true Lady of the island becomes exceptionally close with the local “witch”. The quiet fisherman becomes close to the island drunk. The dire straights these characters were in made them open up to new possibilities of both friendship, and personal strength.

In Yoga, a position that opens the heart to new possibilities is called “Gate”. By strengthening your side, your heart is opened, both literally and metaphorically. I find that allowing myself to open up to new possibilities brings me more of a sense of closeness to others, more of a sense of humor and more opportunities to see life around me as a wonderful journey.



“Gate” pose can be the beginning of that journey for many of us, but so can literature, well made movies, meeting new people and enjoying the long time friendship of those dear to you. This novel shows me that trying something new, whether it’s reading a book I’d never imagine liking, or introducing myself to a stranger, can bring about extraordinary promise. We just have to remember to always keep our sense of humor, according to my own Dad, and keep our eye on the objective. Whether your objective is pure survival, or just getting through the day, knowing when and how to laugh can make all the difference in the world.

3 comments:

Snot Head (a.k.a Kylie) said...

Wow, that is a great blog. I myself love books, and I might just check out this book. I read Anne Frank, but I was about 14 and naive. Imagine that. I couldn't really get into it then. I completely understand the humor point, though. Last year, I lost my mom to cancer. She only had cancer for a week before she died. It was so sudden, but at her funeral we were telling funny stories about her. It was really helpful.

Ellen said...

Thanks for the kind words. Always know that reading any book can be a lifelong journey. I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. When my father passed away ten years ago, it seemed as if the bottom had fallen off the floor. We never really get over these losses. We just learn how to process them and take those special moments, like humor and funny stories, along for our own life journeys. Good luck to you !

Marcia said...

Fantastic, Ellen. Wow. I laugh a lot, believe it or not. :)