Sunday, December 14, 2008

Passionate about food

I love food with great passion. I also love to read. My blog has expounded on both of these points ad nauseum. However, I can’t let the holidays pass without suggesting one of my favorite books: The Soprano Family cookbook. I realize that I have only reviewed and derived articles from literary novels until this point. But, this cookbook is a novel. Rather, it reads like one. As a fan of the HBO series, the Sopranos, I was thrilled when my friend, Debra, gave me the cookbook one Christmas. Since then, I’ve pulled it out every holiday, and frankly, whenever I need a good laugh. It’s hilariously funny. The characters not only give their favorite recipes, but also bits and pieces into their lives. Because I’m not Italian-American, it would be easy to let dishes like Ziti Al-Forno or Roasted Sausage and Peppers slide remain off the radar. And yet, because of this wonderful cookbook, I can make these dishes with confidence, and laugh as I’m reading the recipes because they’re written “in character”.


My favorite chapter is entitled, “If I couldn’t eat, I’d fu**ing die!”. I simply love the title. It’s Bobby Bacala’s view on food, and some fabulous recipes. But, the sentiment, in so uncertain terms, remains the same. Food, to me, is meant to be savored to point of immense joy. If you don’t love what you’re eating, why bother? My husband, a former Army Ranger, takes a different view. During times in the field, you ate what you could, even MRE’s that tasted like sawdust. I haven’t had Jeff’s experience in food deprivation, so I can’t fully appreciate his impassioned plea for Kentucky Fried Chicken the moment he was released from that part of his training. But, I could certainly see his appreciation for what he craved, those long months he was away. I’ve been incredibly blessed in my life: I’ve been surrounded by delicious food most of the time. And, if I didn’t have it immediately, I wasn’t far from it. I also am fortunate that I have a strong resolve. I rarely eat something if it’s not exactly “it”. It’s not that I have developed the most incredible discipline, I’m just a picky eater when it comes to the taste-factor. The fact is, I want to love what I eat. Otherwise, it’s simply not worth my time. Or, the places it’ll end up on my thighs.


In Yoga, there are different philosophies about eating. Many serious yogis and yoginis are vegetarians. Others believe that eating meat is sacred, as long as you appreciate the animal, for lack of a better term that you’re eating. Still others will adhere to strict diets, macrobiotic, ayurvedic or another health-conscious traditions. These movements believe in focusing on the season on the food, the combinations of foods, and the right food for your body type. Honestly, I believe in all of it. I do eat (and appreciate) meat, but I also choose many meals to be vegetarian. I enjoy the freshness of many macrobiotic meals, and love brown rice and sushi. I also understand that eating for my Ayurvedic Dosha, which happens to be “Kapha”, involves avoiding fatty foods, and focusing on light, even spicy meals, to provide balance in my system. What most yogis will encourage you to do about food is to eat healthfully, and listen to your body when you have had enough. Pasta isn’t off limits (or I really would fu***ing die), but I eat it in moderation, with fresh ingredients for balanced meals.

As the holidays are here, so many of us will make unhealthy choices. We’ll feel these in body and in spirit (the guilty conscience never rests !). Enjoy your food, make a wonderful Italian dish, have a glass of red wine and savor it. Investigate new ways to approach food that may help you feel better physically. But, always remember that taste comes first!

"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intellligently is an art". ~ La Rouchfoucauld

No comments: