Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Forever in Blue Jeans

Money talks, But it don't sing and dance And it can't walk. As long as I can have you here with me, I'd much rather be Forever in blue jeans. ~ Neil Diamond

Every now and then, I will find myself humming the above referenced Neil Diamond song. While Mr. Diamond was popular before I really came of age, I have to admit to being a fan of his music. Yet, "Forever in Blue Jeans" represents a a life philosophy so close to my heart that the words are completely embedded in my soul and in my closet. I am, most assuredly, a jeans woman. I love my jeans. I dress them up with heels and fancy tops and jewelry. I dress them down with Uggs and cozy sweaters. I wore jeans to take my children to the park when they were little, and to have coffee with friends, as we laughed and cried together. Jeans are my wardrobe mainstay and I'd be lost with my access to Lucky Jeans stores.

However, jeans aren't just about what I put on my body. It is true that many women would rather find their perfect fitting pair of jeans---that maximizes their assets and camoflagues their faults---than they would to find a good date for a Saturday night. The perfect jeans, that fit as if they were made specifically for you are the Holy Grail of the shopping world. And, when we discover that magical pair that posesses all the alchemical possibilities to make us feel tall, slim and beautiful, we reach a state of shopping Nirvana. Yet, the attitude behind a jeans-based wardrobe and life philosophy is not materialistic, once you find your denim soulmate.

Having a favorite pair of jeans, and living in them throughout your daily life, can say a great deal about your life philosophy. As opposed to wearing the Little Black Dress or the Business Suit, wearing jeans can show the world that you believe in comfort, in freedom and in dressing to please yourself, not others. Perfectly worn in jeans can mean that you aren't a slave to fashion, but prefer to set your own standards. Will Rogers once said, "I don't feel comfortable any place my dog and my blue jeans aren't welcome." I adore this sentiment and agree with it wholeheartedly. Wearing jeans can mean that you are down to Earth, believe in an open heart and a personality that says "I am comfortable with who I am, and I don't need to dress up in a costume to pretend to be myself."

This, of course, doesn't mean that we should only wear jeans, and never wear anything else. I do not mean to imply that people who aren't comfortable wearing jeans are in any way less evolved than people who do. But, I can say that there was a time in my life in which I simply couldn't wear jeans and feel at home. I felt the need to "dress up" for no apparent reason, and did not feel put together unless I was wearing clothing that said "Elegant at all times". Wearing jeans I felt heavy, messy and unkempt. What I came to discover about myself was that, in jeans, I was not heavy, messy or unkempt, except in my own mind and heart. I learned that I didn't need to wear a designer outfit every day simply to present a good face to the world. What I needed to do was to excavate my soul and find the same degree of confidence and peace in my spirit, whether I'm wearing denim jeans or a silk dress. Denim whispers and says "There you are!" to those around you. Silk shouts, "Here I am !". My father, every bit as wise as Will Rogers, once to urged me to be the kind of woman who says "There you are!" to those around me. Denim can mean looking outside our own insecurities and foibles because we completely at peace with our walk on the journey. In being comfortable with our own path, we can better help others by being the kind of person who listens before she speaks.

So, wear your jeans with pride....be the kind of approachable person with whom others feel comfortable. But, most of all, find comfort within yourself, knowing that you have nothing prove, except your own level of peaceful confidence.

And, when you do find that magical pair of jeans that flatters from every angle, buy three pair.

No comments: