Friday, March 13, 2009

I believe...

This is one of those email questionaires that goes around...but I liked it because it requires the responder to really look into her heart and not just ask which kind of peanut butter she prefers. So, please feel free to read on and create your own. I hope it stimulates great conversations!

I BELIEVE….


(Create 25 true statements about yourself and your life, and what you believe. Share with your friends, ask them to do the same, and learn more about one another. )

1. I believe that I’m far more comfortable with myself; body, mind and spirit, than I was at 16.


2. I believe that I learn more about the world around me every day, and the more I learn, the more I want to know. I realize how ignorant I have been, and am excited about the prospect of lifelong learning.


3. I believe a woman is more beautiful after she becomes a mother. Tiredness is one thing, but a loving glow is quite another.


4. I believe we have a great deal to learn from our children, if we only take the time to listen. And yet, there are times that I believe it’s perfectly reasonable to say “Because I said so.”


5. I believe in true love but that true love doesn’t come without obstacles. It’s the overcoming of those obstacles that deepen love, not diminish it.


6. I believe that sunshine and fresh air are vital to good health but also that the energy of a city is invigorating.


7. I believe that the arts are critical to the soul. Music, painting, theatre, sculpture all speak to a little used part of the brain in too many people. I also believe that schools removing arts programs will see children lack the ability to think creatively and laterally about logical problems.


8. I believe deeply in God, and that compassion, tolerance and a loving heart are the root of my faith. I do not believe that God excludes.


9. I believe that caring for animals is a window into
a person’s psyche. If a person hates dogs, it’s unlikely I will feel comfortable in her presence or that she will be a true friend to me.


10. I believe in moderation; sunning oneself, chocolate, a glass of wine and other small gifts are meant to enjoyed. Life is too short to deny oneself. However, when overused, these small joys will lose their power to bring joy.


11. I believe in smiling at everyone I meet and making eye contact. I believe in good manners, especially in saying “please” and “thank you”.


12. I believe that laughter until you cry is a vital form of expression.


13. I believe in the power of a cup of a tea and a friendly ear.


14. I believe in singing Christmas carols the entire month of December.


15. I believe in saying “I don’t know” when I am unsure, as well as “I need help”.


16. I believe in never taking one’s health for granted....and in finding ways to improve our health. This is meant as a gift to ourselves and shouldn't be thought of as punishment.


17. I believe in reading good books that will inspire me, as well the fact that books are meant to be shared. A good book sitting on a shelf, never to be read again is not a collection. But, a book grows with the sharing of it.


18. I believe I will never be a good gardener, and that I lack the basic gene to make things grow, but that I can appreciate beautiful gardens in other people’s yards. I am completely okay with that.


19. I believe in travel. The power of seeing new places, being open to new experiences, and not just surrounding oneself with the familiar (even away) is life affirming.


20. I believe in freshly baked bread and think Dr. Atkins must be a sad, sad man.


21. I believe everyone should be able to cook 3 delicious meals, even if you aren’t a great cook. It’s easy to stick to three foolproof meals when entertaining. I also believe that experimentation with cooking can go horribly wrong, and that it’s okay to say “Sorry ! Let’s order in!” when things go awry.


22. I believe in warm, fresh, clean sheets to get into bed every night, and my own special pillow.


23. I believe that there can be lessons to learn from people, even if we disagree with them.


24. I believe in destiny and I also believe that even our mistakes can lead us to where we're ultimately meant to be.


25. I believe in counting my blessings every night before I go to sleep, and every morning when I wake up…because no matter how crazy the world may seem, I have been truly fortunate.

No comments: