Thursday, October 9, 2008

The LAZY yogini

The lazy yogini. That would be me. Yes, I’m preppy too, but basically I’m just lazy.




Webster’s defines lazy as “not easily aroused to activity”. Yogini is definted as “a female who practices yoga”. That’s me on both counts. My laziness isn’t just a dislike of movement or activity. It’s more of a downright slothful quality, seen mostly in slow moving marsupials….or princesses who have servants to wait on them hand and foot. Since I’m neither royalty nor a Koala, I can’t quite figure out where this extraordinary ability of lying prone in bed all day (without taking a break !) comes from. If I ended up on a desert island, I honestly don’t think I’d much know the difference. As long as I had my own pillow, that is. As far as I know, I’ve been this way my entire life. My mother tells me that she thought I was a carrot for the first year or two of my life…she was sure I had roots growing !

So, how does yoga fit into all this life of rebellious disinclination to work ? Yoga is amazing outlet for someone like me…that is, someone whose energy level has been compared to a root vegetable. Yoga classes start slowly. There is no mind numbing techno pounding into your brain, with a peppy, size 0 cheerleader urging you onto that step contraption (which I’ve successfully fallen off, I should add). In both the classes I’ve taken, and the classes I teach, yoga begins….lazily. Class begins with dim lights, soft music, a cushion to sit on and deep breathing. That’s my kind of exercise ! However, as I work through the breathing exercises, I find that my body just flows into the asana, or pose portion, of practice. It’s not that I want to do Sun Salutations or the Warrior seriers, but it just flows naturally. Somehow, there is an amazing transition from seated breathing meditation to vigorous flexibility and strength. But, because it sneaks up on me, I don’t even realize it’s happening. Generally, at some point during class, I’ll think to myself “Hey ! Look how strong I am !”. After an hour and a quarter of flowing body work, it’s time once again for laziness….to strip away the thoughts, the worries, the ‘to do’ lists, and finish the yoga practice with a time of quiet relaxation. The lovely part is, I know just how to do that one naturally.

Yoga isn’t exercise to me. It’s a way to overcome my sluggish side, and, like tip toeing into the shallow end of a pool initially, it still gets me where I’m going; body, mind and soul.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Oh interesting. It's funny but in as long as I've known you I would have never, ever thought of sluggish or lazy for you. You're always going and doing and I've admired that. I am slothful too, so perhaps yoga really is a good idea for me. (now if I could just get myself motivated to go allllll the way to the rec center, it's, like, 2 whole miles away! LOL! (FAM Marcia)