Thursday, October 9, 2008

Pancakes, the Demon of Camden

Take a look at this little face....it's precious, isn't it ? You just want to pick her up and snuggle her. The face belongs to Pancakes, otherwise known as the Demon of Camden. She may look like a bunny from a greeting card, but she is honestly the most devilish creature alive. I think it must be in the gene pool. After all, you can't be this adorable, without having some flaws, can you ?


Pancakes (also known as Fufu Bunny, Maisie Pancakes and Satan) arrived at our house when Josh needed a pet for a science project. The choices were a house plant, a rat, a duck or a bunny. Since I didn't think ducks or rats would blend well into our animal kingdom, and since I didn't think Josh would get a decent grade for a spider plant, I agreed to a bunny. I also agreed to the famous whine of "Mom, I promise I'll take care of her !". A sucker is born every minute...and most of them answer to "Mom".



So, I did what I always do: I read. I read a great deal. I studied "Rabbits for Dummies", as well as "Rabbits: your complete guide" by Virgina Guidry, and "The Rabbit Handbook" by K. Gendron. I learned that, contrary to popular belief, rabbits are territorial. I wondered how this would go over with Mackenzie, my German Shepherd. I also learned that rabbits are skittish, yet demonstrative. I read that rabbits must eat plenty of Alfalfa hay, should not eat much vegetables (so the Peter Rabbit tale of raiding Mr. MacGregor's garden is more like a story of a teenage boy going drive thru McDonald's) and can be litter box trained. I also read that these are largely silent pets. After my crash course in bunny care, I was ready ! Or, so I thought...


Pancakes does not like Alfalfa hay. When I put it into her cage, she does one of two things; she either poops on it, or she picks up a stack of it and throws it at me. I guess it's her way of being demonstrative. Her favorite food is banana. I figured this one out by her hopping into my lap, biting a piece of my banana off and scooting away when I tried to take it back. I think this is the Pancakes' version of being skittish. The litter box was an enormous success ! Pancakes happily uses it as her bed. She sleeps there every night. Going to the bathroom, however, appears to require a trip to my bed...which is now consistently covered in extra blankets and towels. When I try to shame her and put her back in the litter box, Pancakes makes between a growl and a hissing sound...further proof that rabbits aren't silent. As far as the dogs go, both Murphy and Mackenzie (who weigh more than 250 pounds combined) defer to Pancakes as her Royal Highness. If Pancakes wants to hop into a space where they happen to be, they immediately vacate...sensing royalty in their presence.

So, I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to our bunny, it's "Opposite Day". I think I should have read "Wolverines for Dummies". That may have been more helpful. It's a good thing she's cute.

2 comments:

Cheryl AKA "Haku Seki" said...

Hey El,
I was wondering how life with the little moppet was going- thanks for the update!
You've inspired me to put starting a blog on my 'to do' list :)
Love you much,
Cheryl

Lisa said...

ROFL OK...that rabbit looks like the one we gave away!

You are positive about the sex of Pancakes? You may want to have her spayed. We had ours neutered and it solved the growling and peeing everywhere but the litter box.

He now comfortable lives with my fellow Kindy teacher.

Lisa