Thursday, October 9, 2008

Book Corner


Have you ever not wanted a book to end ? I recently finished an extraordinary book: "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry. I was captivated by both the idea behind 'reading lace' as a gift, but also by the brilliant narrative and storytelling by the author. There were some very dark elements to this novel, and yet I also found it uplifting. The triumph of the human spirit over suffering is a theme I seem to come to again and again during my literary journey. It's easier to process challenging subjects, I believe, when I read them fictionally.

The main character in "The Lace Reader" disassociates with her past on many levels. In the case of Towner, the protagonist, her disassociation goes beyond what the reader is led to believe. However, a large part of me couldn't help but admire Towner for her gifts, for her strength and for her way of coping. The rest of the characers in this novel are so richly complex, I wished that I could go to Salem, and have tea in the tea shop with them. I found myself dreaming about the characters and came away with a sense of knowing them.

Every book brings a lesson to us. I believe this book taught me to appreciate the safe life I do have, as well as to grasp that, the need to live fully goes on, despite life circumstances.

No comments: